Your Guide to Window Anatomy


A profile is a planed or routed pattern cut along a peice of wood. The type of profile most common on windows and doors is called an ogee profile. It is used to decorate the transtition between two faces of a board. Other profile types are roundover, cove and rabbet. Window millwork is often done with a single router bit -- a "sash bit," comprising an ogee for the interior, and a rabbet for the exterior

diagram of a window sash highlighting an ogee profile